Tuesday, January 8, 2013

coral, aqua, gray

The other day I realized I did not have any major projects being carried over from last year. Whaaaat?!?! I know, crazy! Of course I have a few orphan blocks, but that doesn't even count, right? So, to celebrate, and remedy this uncommon situation, I started not just one, but two new quilts. Want to see?


I have all the blocks finished for the quilt #1. It's going to be a simple strip lap quilt, similar to this one I made a few months ago. I seem to really like coral, aqua, white, and gray color combo these days (doesn't it sound so much more chic than just saying plain red, white, and blue?). I've had a stack of these fabrics waiting around for quite some time. It felt so good to finally cut into them and sew like there was no tomorrow.

And, to prove that I really am into these colors, here's the quilt #2 in its beginning stages.


This is a very improv, make it up as you go sort of quilt. I'm finding out that I really enjoy making quilts like that. Let's hope I will be able to turn these random strips of fabric into something cohesive. It looks really good in my head, it's that transforming the idea into a real quilt that gets quite tricky sometimes.

How about you, what have you been up to? Do tell.

Linking up to Lee's WIP Wednesday.

21 comments:

  1. I love both of these, that Type is fab! I've been trying to knock some of the 38 WIPs I found when cleaning off my To Do list *ahem*

    ReplyDelete
  2. No carryover?! Amazing - Good for you! Coral, aqua, grey and white is SO much better than red, white and blue :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The colors made me sigh .... just lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These will both be beautiful! I'm sort of afraid to list all my UFO 's. perhaps if I ignore them, they'll go away......

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't wait to see how the typewriter blocks turn out! I was just looking at your low volume quilt today. It is one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love improve quilts. I am trying to finish a jacket and then I need to figure out what to do with all my quilting stash. I'm sure I can improvise...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the colours you've chosen for your strip quilt! They are on my favourites list also.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful soft colours, and i love your improv style! No carryover, surely that's a myth??? Ange.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the colors. Wishing I was starting new in 2013 too. I'm only a little jealous...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't tried that kind of improv method yet. Notice the yet. I'm really interested in doing that kind of thing. Did you use orphan blocks, or did you make them especially for this quilt?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your colour choice, and esp. in these low volume prints. Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I love how your quilt is coming along. Looks very modern. I am make a few simple quilts to to make a serious dent in my fabric stash.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oooo, I like the colors and the improv is looking great.

    ReplyDelete
  14. your WIPs are so pretty! I am gonna start following you blog now, i can't resist the pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the aqua and orange colours. Looking great!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nothing carrying over, you are my hero! I love both these projects, they are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I still have difficulty with improv! That looks soo good! And the aqua and orange have been on my radar for awhile...I like how soft yours are!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...