low volume quilt {finished}

Hello, happy Monday!

I hope your weekend was good. Ours was rainy and dark, perfect for staying inside and quilting all day long (well, I actually could not just quilt for two days straight, but I got a few good hours of uninterrupted sewing, and that felt great). Fortunately sun managed to peek in from time to time, too and I was able to get some decent pictures of my low volume quilt.


I love this quilt. I've wanted to make a strip quilt for a while now and I think all this low volume fabric was perfect for such a simple, not fussy at all design. I wrote more about how I made this quilt top here.


I was also planning on doing some very minimal straight line quilting. I just wanted to machine quilt it along the horizontal lines and be done. Well, I did that and hated the way it looked. My idea of "minimalist" quilting made it look very blah! Out came the trusty seam ripper and after what felt like a very, very long time I was back to a plain quilt sandwich and no idea what to do. 


I've done a lot of hand quilting lately, so naturally, when I felt stuck, I just started hand quilting using 2 strands of light blue embroidery thread. I quilted in straight lines about 3" apart. I liked it so. much. better!!!


The quilting goes really well with the backing, too - I used Bari J.'s Garden Rocket in turquoise. I adore this fabric, it's so beautiful and has such a wonderful feel.


This was my first time cutting the binding on bias, I love the look of it and I'm happy to say that it was not that scary at all. Plus, it adds just the right amount of interest and frames the whole quilt very nicely.


Finished size of the quilt is 50" x 57" and it's going to live in our family room. It will be perfect for snuggling while reading or watching TV.

Linking up to  Fresh Poppy Design