shibori pillow + custom pillow form

I keep going back and forth on what to do with my lovely stack of indigo dyed fabric. I'd like to make a quilt, something like this or this would be absolutely wonderful, I think. But, I am totally not in a mood for any quilt making at the moment.


So I decided a pillow cover will suffice for now. This way I don't feel like fabric is just sitting there without me ever touching it while at the same time there's no need to commit to a long term project :).


I didn't want to cut my panels too much so I simply trimmed them to the same size - they were about 18" x 23". I then adhered SF101 interfacing to both panels to make them a bit more sturdy and turned them into a pillow.


I added an invisible zipper for closure. I am a  firm believer in zipper closure for each and every pillow I make for my house and I love that the panels don't have to be chopped up when I add an invisible zipper. 

Now, since I based my pillow cover measurements solely on the size of shibori panels, of course I didn't have a pillow form that would fit. So made my own pillow form. I cut two rectangles of white cotton fabric 1" larger then pillow cover panels on all sides, placed them right sides together, stitched all the way around the perimeter leaving a 5" opening in the bottom seam. I pressed the seams open, clipped the corners, and turned the pillow form right side out. I then stuffed it with polyester fiberfill, stitched the opening closed and my custom pillow form was done. 


I love how simple and super easy it was to make my own pillow form. I must remember to do it more often. Do you ever make your own pillow forms? I hope you give it a try if you haven't already. 

Wishing you all a relaxed rest of Sunday. Svetlana