Farmer's Wife quilt - finished

I can't believe I'm going to say it, here it goes:  MY FARMER'S WIFE QUILT IS DONE!!!!

This is definitely my biggest finish so far. I was kind of questioning if I should still call it a Farmer's Wife quilt since I made so many changes, so I just call it My Version of Farmer's Wife quilt.

I decided not to place my blocks on point. While there were some blocks that looked really great on point, especially the ones here
there were many others that I absolutely disliked on point. Also, my blocks seemed to look more modern when not on point.

Another ginormous change, of course, is the amount of blocks I used. I was going for a twin size quilt and the book called for 83!!! blocks. I got seriously tired of these tiny time consuming blocks after I finished 42 of them. I knew it was time to come up with a way to make a twin size quilt without any additional block making sessions. I added a 2.5 inch wide white sashing, framed the blocks using thin strip of red and white polka dot fabric, then adding a 6 inch wide white border, and binding the quilt using the same red and white polka dot .

The finished size of the quilt is 57 x 65 inches. I used many designer fabrics, especially the ones by Moda, Heather Bailey, Amy Butler, and Denyse Schmidt.The wonderful thing about this quilt is that I already had all the fabric I wanted to use. And since the blocks are so small I was able to use up some of my scraps, too. I did, however, do some "re-purposing". The white I used in blocks, sashing, and for the back is just one brand new king size flat sheet bought at Target. Also, the red with white polka dots fabric that I used to frame the blocks and to bind the quilt was originally a curtain. I bought new curtains for my daughters' room and got one extra to use as binding for their new quilts.

I went with very simple straight line quilting around each block. Two blocks in the middle are definitely my favorite part of the quilt.

Here it is, on my daughter's bed, looking all happy and beautiful.

I really could not have been happier with how this quilt turned out. I'm glad that I stopped when I did and thus I enjoyed every part of making it. And, I learned soooo much, too.

Ok, I know this post has so many pictures, I couldn't help myself and put just one more.

I'm linking this post to WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced. Stop by and see what others are working on.


Enjoy your day, Svetlana.