melinda handbag (new pdf pattern)


Hello lovelies, how are things?

I'm all giddy with excitement because I get to share my newest pattern with you today, yay!


This is Melinda.

Finished size: 12'' wide x 11'' tall x 5'' deep.



She's a fabulously roomy everyday handbag featuring two large slip pockets on the outside plus one slip and one zipper pocket on the inside to help one stay organized.


I made this denim Melinda for myself a few weeks back and I absolutely love it. I think it's such a classy, timeless design and I just adore the denim, leather, and metal hardware combination.

You don't have to use leather or rivets for your bag though. The pattern includes instructions on how to make your own fabric handles if that's what you prefer, and rivets are completely optional.


I designed this bag with slightly heavier fabrics in mind. Denim, Essex linen, or any of the beautiful designer print canvases would be absolutely perfect for this bag. You could, of course, use quilting cotton as well, you'll just need to add a bit more interfacing for stability (I talk about it a bit in my pattern).


Here's a list of materials you'd need to make a Melinda Handbag of your own:

fabric A (main exterior + strap) – 3/4 yard 
fabric B (exterior pocket + handles) – 1 FQ (FQ measures 18'' x 21'')
fabric C (lining) – 1 yard 
SF 101 interfacing (or other medium weight fusible interfacing of choice) – 2 ¾ yards 
interlining fabric (solid colored denim, duck canvas, or *foam interfacing) – 1/2 yard 
one (1) - 9'' long metal or nylon zipper 
one (1) – 16 mm or 18 mm magnetic snap closure 
two (2) – 1'' wide D - rings 
one (1) – 1'' wide rectangular strap slider
two (2) – 1'' wide swivel hooks 
six (6) – 6-8 mm rivets (optional) 
one (1) - 3/4'' x 1 ¾'' strip of leather for pocket accent (optional)

SUPPLIES: 
cutting mat, ruler, and rotary cutter 
Wonder clips and/or pins
disappearing fabric marker or fine chalk pen 
small sharp fabric scissors 
90/14 or 110/18 (jeans/denim) needle for your sewing machine 
leather hole punch + rivet setting tool (optional)


Please note: This is a measure and cut pattern meaning there's no need for templates as the pattern works best when all the pieces are cut using rotary cutter, self healing cutting mat, and acrylic ruler.

♥   ♥   ♥   ♥   ♥

What do you think? I hope you like this bag as much as I do :)

You can now purchase the pattern at my Etsy shop here, and for the next 48 hours (now through Wed, Oct. 24th) you can purchase this pattern at a 25% off introductory price. No coupons needed, the price is automatically adjusted to reflect a 25% discount.

buy this pattern

Happy sewing everyone! Svetlana