hand piecing a quilt ???


Last few weeks I've been looking for a handwork project I could do while watching a show with my kids, or waiting in a carpool lane. Knitting is my usual go to project when sewing machine is not an option, but this time I was ready for some change.

I thought about cross stitch for like a second but I knew right away it wouldn't do as I lack patience and get too frustrated with all the mistakes I tend to make when working on a cross stitch project. I then pulled out my epp (english paper piecing) supplies and even made a few hexies. I used to do a lot of epp on the go, this time though I didn't feel the love :(  I mean, I liked the block I made, I just didn't see myself making enough of them to turn them into something useful.


And then, about a week ago, I kind of gave up on my search, cast on a new pair of socks and settled in to watch some new classes on Creativebug. I came across Tara Faughnan's Double Wedding Ring Quilt class and even though I had no plan to be making a DWR quilt at that moment, I thought it would be fun to watch it as I really, really like Tara's work and her teaching style. And, to my utter surprise, Tara was teaching how to hand piece this giant of a quilt!!! To say I was stunned would totally be an understatment because I just couldn't understand why someone would choose to hand piece a quilt when even the cheapest sewing machine could do the job way quicker and more efficiently.

The more I watched though, the more intrigued I got and by the time I finished watching the class I was ready to give hand piecing a go. I tried piecing a few curves, squares, as well as HSTs but in the end I decided a log cabin block might be the easiest one for a hand piecing beginner like me. Plus, log cabin block is my all time most favorite block ever!


Oh-my-goodness!!! You guys, I'm totally hooked. 


I'm going to be using mostly solids for my blocks as I'm hoping to end up with something similar to this vintage quilt I found on Pinterest.



So tell me. Do you have any on the go projects you like to work on? Any favorites? I'd love to know.

Thanks for stopping by friends, and for reading. Your support and encouragement means more than you can imagine :)

Svetlana