Wednesday, September 21, 2016

my new bucket bag

Hello, happy Wednesday to you all!

How are things, friends? Have you been working on any fun sewing or quilting projects. I've been sort of all over the place lately with tons of screen printing, pattern designing, but also some "just because I feel like it" sewing.


I sewed up this pretty simple, yet very chic I think, bucket bag for myself. I fell in love with waxed canvas a while back, and I knew it would pair up beautifully with my own screen printed linen, leather, and lots of brass hardware.


I'm actually still a bit surprised at how much I love brass bag hardware these days. I've been silver / nickel only kind of girl for years now so this is a new, and very welcome change for me.


I'm happy I finally got to use this leather snap closure. It's been sitting in my studio for years now as I never seemed to have just the right project to use it in (it probably has something to do with the above mentioned silver hardware only "policy"). I hand stitched the snap in place once the bag was finished. It was a bit fiddly, as you can probably imagine, especially since I didn't want my stitches to show on the lining side, but well worth a bit extra effort.



And, I added a zipper pocket to my lining. I always add zipper pockets to my purses, but this was the first time I did a pocket this way. I love the way it looks and I'm sure you'll keep seeing it in my bags from now on :).

I also departed from my usual quilting cotton lining and used canvas instead. I worried a bit that it would be too stiff and hard to work with, but I completely fell in love with it as it sewed beautifully and it helps the finished bag to hold its shape. Oh, I greatly appreciated no need to add interfacing to the lining.


All in all, I'm super pleased with the way this bag turned out. I think it will make a great fall/ winter everyday bag. 

And, in case some of you wondered, I will be turning it into my next pdf pattern. Stay tuned.

Svetlana


26 comments:

  1. Very cool. Beautiful! Want one, but not sure I could do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so gorgeous S! Sophisticated and stylish! Love the colours & details too! Well done. Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so great! You are so talented! I will definitely be looking for this pattern as I want to make this and love the zip pocket inside. I've never done one before so looking forward to giving it a try. Your tutorials are great and easy to follow so I'm sure this pattern will be the same.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just LOVE This!!! Looking forward to the pdf!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks amazing. I wish I had the confidence to try a bag. I love everything about this one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this. Can't wait for the pattern. I'm curious to see if there is any staining from the waxed canvas onto the contents of the bag. Some of my waxed canvas has seemed a bit "oily".

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous - an ultra practical but sophisticated design! I'm standing in the line for the pattern, too... Many thanks for your inspiring posts and projects.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this! Do you have an online source for the waxed canvas?

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh yay. I want this pattern! This is so lovely and I was going to ask you to do a tutorial for the zip, but no worries. I'll get the pattern when it's out!! Beautifully done, Svetlana - and so classy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the look of this bag.. the color is very versatile.. no need to worry about getting it dirty, and the size.. wow.. really can fit in lots of stuff there.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love, love, love everything you do. Love the way you have evolved and improved. Love the minimalism in your screen-printing designs.
    I wanted you to know that your posts are always read and much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this bag. Can you also post where to get the supplies, like fabric?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this! I just bought some Otter Wax and have been searching for bag patterns to make just the "right" one...this is it! Can't wait for the PDF.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Really nice! Thanks for sharing.

    Vivi / www.avecvivi.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. the zipper pocket looks easier than the envelope style pocket I normally use on the lining . also with the side seams there is the possibility to use up fabric scraps to make up the lining.
    I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love'n this bag!! All those pockets on the inside, are a must for me. Can't wait to see the pattern. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  18. LOVE this bag! Hope this will be a new pattern available on your site? Can you also tell me where you source your brass hardware as well as your leather straps? I'm really having a hard time finding nice brass hardware and especially leather straps. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  19. amazing bag! everything is perfectly put together! <3

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful!! I'm in-line for the pattern too!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love how this looks and had to pop over from IG to see the rest of the photos. I especially love how you did the zipper pocket. I've been really unhappy lately with how I've been doing pockets the "normal" way--just stitching them on top of the lining or doing the welt zipper. I decided with my next bag I'll seam them into the lining just as you've done here! How you did it is just perfect and looks so much better!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a beautiful bag! I love the structure and the inside pocket. Watching for a followup post that answers some of the questions asked in the other comments.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...