bias bound fleece blanket


Autumn is finally here! I've been longing for cooler weather for months now so it feels absolutely amazing to finally need beautifully squishy and warm blankets at night. I do love autumn so very much, and I love having a pile of quilts to snuggle under.

My kids, on the other hand, don't really care for quilts. I know, right? (insert a very sad face here) They do, however, love simple soft blankets. So, when I came across this gorgeously thick Luxe Fleece at Joann store recently, I knew it would make a perfect blanket for my son.



I personally quite dislike tied fleece blankets (you know, the ones with two layers and a tied fringe), so I knew I had to approach this lovely fleece differently.


I remembered a tutorial I once saw on Purl Soho website for a Simple Wool Blanket and I knew I could use the same method to beautifully finish my fleece blanket.

I didn't have any bias binding on hand (plus I think it would be quite pricey to buy enough for a throw sized blanket) so I made my own. I just looked up bias binding tutorial on Pinterest and went for it. I liked this tutorial a lot.


Once my binding was made, I trimmed all the fleece edges and used a plate to round the corners.


I machine stitched the binding to one side, then flipped it over and hand stitched it to the other side. Next time, however, I'm planning on completely machine stitching it. Maybe using a zig zag stitch ??? I'll see.


All in all, this was a fun little project and I really like the way it turned out. And, so does my little boy. Fleece blanket for a win :).

Happy sewing, friends. Svetlana