Wednesday, December 23, 2015

napkins and pjs

I've been in a sewing frenzy for the last few days. I don't know what it is, but I keep coming up with new projects I simply HAVE TO make right away or the world as we know it will end :). I haven't felt that way for quite some time, so I'm just going with the flow and enjoying the manic sewing for now.


I made some Christmas cloth napkins. Aren't they wonderfully bright and happy looking? I think they will make our Christmas table extra cheery this year.


 They were super simple, but slightly tedious to make, as there was a lot of cutting, pinning, and pressing involved. Totally worth is, though.

Here's how I made my napkins: I just cut two 18" squares for each napkin, placed them right sides together and pinned around the perimeter. I then used 1/2" seam allowance to stitch all the way around the edges leaving a 4" opening in one side for turning. I pressed the seams open, turned the napkin right side out through the opening, pushed the corners out to make them nicely pointy and pinned the opening closed. I then used 1/8" seam allowance to stitch all the way around the edges of napkin stitching the opening in the side closed at the same time. I gave it one last good press and that was it. Super easy, right? I told you.


I also made these wonderfully soft flannel pajama pants for my son. He's the only one in the family who appreciates (and even asks for) PJs made by me, and I was more than happy to oblige.



I used my go to pattern to make his PJs. It's funny how every time I make these I get surprised at how quickly they come together. 

Now, if only I could stop sewing and start cooking. Wish me luck.

Svetlana


14 comments:

  1. That's a lot of napkins. I love all the color. I'll be adding that to next year's list. Thanks for sharing. Love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Christmas and Festive season. I really enjoy your blog - and thank you for another fascinating year of project ideas and inspiration! I am looking forward to some quiet time in the new year to 'do justice' to several of your wonderful patterns... (in fact, my husband's gift to me for Christmas is two days of unencumbered 'me' time in January - no expectations of sharing the domestic workload for the 48 hour period, and no comments on the merits of spending many hours in front of a sewing machine! - bliss...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you use quilting cotton for the napkins? I've had napkins on my to do list but haven't known what weight to use.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nadherne, Svetlanko! Latkove ubrousky jsou opravdu skvely napad. A pyzamka zavidim, vypadaji krasne teple :) Svetlanko, mejte krasne svatky plne pohody a radosti! :) Jola

    ReplyDelete
  5. So many lovely fabrics in those napkins, such a fun addition to a Christmas table. :) And I love the pajama pants! I've made one pair of PJ's and it was in my home ec. class back in high school! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the little PJ bottoms, especially the London Buses/Taxi fabric - Merry Christmas to you all :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE those napkins!!
    Wishing you a Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  8. PJ with frogs! OMG! Love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow that's a lot of napkins! I would have lost patience after the second one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Boy am I in need of new napkins! Yours are so festive and will make your table bright and merry!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The napkins and pj pants are cute. I'd love to know what you cooked.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love those gorgeous festive napkins and the bright pj's!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aw, I use to make flannel pjs for my little guy too;) Love the napkins, always fun to coordinate the fabrics.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...