my christmas quilt

I finished my Christmas quilt over the weekend and what better time to show it off than few days before Halloween, right ? :)


I know I say it a lot, but I really, really love how this quilt turned out. Especially considering I had no clear plan when I started making it. It all started with these sawtooth star blocks I made way back in August. And then I didn't feel like making more of these blocks, so I decided to make a few tree blocks using AmandaJean's Trees! pattern. And then I sort of improv added whatever needed to be filled in :).


 My main inspiration for this quilt was this beauty made by Mary (Molly Flanders). Such an adorable, perfectly perfect little Christmas quilt, isn't it?


I really loved how Mary hand quilted hers, but I was not really in a mood for a major hand quilting project. So, I copied yet another one of Mary's fantastic ideas and combined machine quilting with just little touches of hand quilting. I can't even begin to tell you how very much I enjoyed this part. Pure joy, I'm telling you :). It's like putting sprinkles on a beautiful cupcake.


This, by the way, is my set up for hand quilting. I don't use any frames or hoops, I just spread the quilt on this large table and go for it (but I do try to remove the cats before I start quilting :)). Oh, and yes, I did the hand quilting once the binding was finished. It wasn't planned like that, but in my rush to see how binding would look with the whole layout I totally spaced out and forgot about hand quilting.


I used red and white perle cotton #8 for these lovely chunky stitches and did some randomly spaced long rows of white stitching plus some red stitching around christmas tress.


Oh, and minky backing, of course. To make it all nice and warm and super cozy. (I'm hoping my post on backing quilts with minky will be ready next week).


The quilt finished at 52" x 68", so a nice throw size. Now just to patiently wait for Christmas to come so we can enjoy lots of snuggles under this cozy pile of loveliness.

Thanks for reading, friends. Svetlana

Ooops, I almost forgot. I'm adding my Christmas quilt to Blogger's Quilt Festival - small quilts category over at Amy's creative side.