linen house coasters {tutorial}

Hello friends, I have a fun little project for you today ...


... super simple linen coasters that are quick and easy to whip up. Plus, they are adorable, and charmingly rustic looking, and scrap friendly :), so definitely a win win in my book.


I've always loved the combination of linen and chunky uneven stitches, so I decided to use running stitch (as opposed to using blind stitch) to sew the openings of the coasters closed and made that part of the design element.



I like the use of bright, happy prints on the back of the coasters as they provide a lovely contrast to very minimalist linen side. Or maybe I shouldn't even call them backs as these could definitely pass up as double sided coasters :).



Each coaster finished at 4.5" x 4.75".

And, I wrote up instructions for you in case you'd like to make a set or two of your own. Enjoy!

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

To make one coaster you will need:
house template (click here)
6" square of linen
6" square of quilting cotton for backing
7" square of cotton batting
3 strands of embroidery thread or perle cotton
hand sewing supplies
disappearing fabric marker or pen

1. Use provided template to cut out one house shape out of linen and one out of quilting cotton. Make sure to cut out two mirror images as the pattern is not symmetrical.

2. Make a little quilt sandwich by placing batting on a flat surface, then linen house and backing house right sides together on top. Smooth all the layers so there and no puckers and pin all the way around.


3. Use 1/4 seam allowance to stitch around the edges, making sure to leave about 2-3" opening in the bottom seam.


4. Cut the extra batting off, clip the corners. Press the bottom seam open and turn the coaster right side out through the opening in the bottom seam. Push the corners out (don't worry if they are not too pointy as we're going for a more rustic, charming look with this coaster :)). Use a pin to hold opening closed.


5. Hand stitch the opening closed using three strands of embroidery thread (or perle cotton). I used running stitch that's visible on both sides of my coaster as I decided the stitching will be part of my design. If, however, you prefer your stitching to be hidden, use regular sewing thread and blind stitch to close the opening.



6. Mark the placement of your door or window using disappearing fabric marker or pen. Use the same three strand thread and running stitch to add the door or window. (I added windows or doors to some of my coasters, but I also decided to leave some without any stitching).


7. Give your coaster a good press and you're all finished. Congratulations!!!


8. Now go ahead and make three more coasters so you have a lovely set to use around the house.

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

I hope you enjoyed this tutorial. 

 And, as always, if you make a project using any of my tutorials please add it to my Flickr group. I love seeing all your amazing creations.
Svetlana