sixteen patch baby quilts {plus a tutorial}

 I tried to tame the scrap monster in my sewing room the other day :). I wasn't in a mood for anything large though, so I decided to make a few simple sixteen patch baby quilts for our local homeless shelter.


These quilts are super easy to make and I love that I got to use up some fabrics that are still pretty but not necessarily my favorites anymore. And scraps, of course, if felt good to make a dent in my scraps.


Plus, each quilt needs only 1/2 yard of fabric for setting squares which worked out great considering I buy my fabric mostly in 1/2 yard cuts.

♥ ♥ ♥

In case you'd like to make a sweet little sixteen patch baby quilt of your own, here's a quick tutorial for you.


Finished size: 32" x 40"

Materials needed: 
enough scraps to cut 160 - 2.5" scrappy squares
1/2 yard fabric of choice for setting squares
1 1/4 yard fabric for backing 
1/4 yard fabric for binding
40" x 45" batting of choice
505 basting spray of basting pins

Notes:  use consistent 1/4" seam allowance
             WOF - width of fabric

1. Cutting
scraps: cut 160 - 2.5" squares
fabric for setting squares :  cut 10 - 8.5" squares (make sure to cut very carefully as 1/2 yard of fabric gives you exactly 10 squares with very little fabric left over)
binding: cut 4 - 2.5" x WOF strips 
 
2. Scrappy Squares
Divide your 2.5" squares into 10 piles of 16 squares each. Piece scrappy squares. You will have 10 - 8.5" squares.


3. Layout
Alternate scrappy squares with setting squares on your design wall or floor as shown in picture below. Stitch together to make a quilt top.


4. Quilt Sandwich
Press backing fabric, baste your quilt using either basting spray or pins. Quilt as desired. Trim the quilt.

5. Binding
Stitch binding strips together on bias and attach to quilt.

Congratulations! You're all finished now.

Thanks for reading, friends.

And, as always, if you make a project using any of my tutorials please add it to my Flickr group or use #sotaksixteenpatch on IG. I always enjoy seeing all your amazing creations.
 Svetlana