Thursday, March 19, 2015

cog + wheel {a finished quilt}


I'm so very, very, super happy to have this quilt finished. I made the first two cog + wheel blocks way back in January 2013 !!! and my plan was to make nine blocks to have a nice lap sized quilt.

The other day I came across those two finished blocks and I decided it was time to check Cog + Wheel quilt (pattern by Denyse Schmidt) off my to do list. There was no way I was making seven more of these blocks though, so I decided to make just two and add sashing and thick-ish border to make the quilt a usable size. It ended up being 55" x 58".

And yes, I did not mark my white solids properly and used a wrong white for one of the blocks. I'm now simply pretending it's part of my design plan ;).


I used a mix of DS fabrics from my stash to make a simple backing. I always enjoy this kind of scrappy, use what you've got backing the most.


I quilted it using straight horizontal lines about 1/4" -1/2" apart.


For some reason I always worry that this kind of quilting will make for a super stiff quilt which is not true at all. It gives the finished quilt a wonderful drape and a lovely feel.


I decided to stick with DS fabrics for the binding as well. And, just like with the quilt back, I went scrappy and used what I had on hand. I think it frames the quilt quite nicely and brings a little bit more interest to the finished quilt.


Thanks for reading everyone. Svetlana

19 comments:

  1. Beautiful finish! Your "design element" looks right at home in this quilt. I did the same thing the other day. I had a quilt top waiting to be made bigger but I hadn't got around to doing the math. Its amazing what time can do and I realised I want it finished so I can use it. It doesn't matter about the size. So it has been shipped off to the quilter. Very satisfying in getting something moving along that had just been sitting there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE the different white - I think it's super snazzy. And well done matching the stripes on the back. I always like that careful attention to detail.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like that that one square is a different shade of white. Adds a lot of interest. This quilt has been on my wish list for awhile--ever since Hope Valley came out. Remains to be seen if I actually make it. Yours is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful! This is on my want to do list as well. I have the pattern, and am collecting Denyse fabrics ( not easy to find, though). I can see that your place mats are inspired from this as well?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like that one block has the different background too. It's great to see you finished it and is now being used.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do you mark the lines for quilting or just eyeball them? I too love the different white - makes it so much more interesting to look at!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's gorgeous, and the quilting is the perfect choice! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. This quilt is so pretty! The fabrics are so perfect together, the dark with the purple, blue, and lime is so divine! The scrappy binding is just right. What a gorgeous quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was wondering what kind of batting do you use in your quilts? I really like the look of straight line quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree that the different white adds a lot of visual interest.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats on your finish. Looks like a tricky pattern to piece, no wonder you decided to down-size the project, better to have a finished smaller quilt that a couple or orphan blocks for another few years! Great job :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's a beautiful quilt. I really love the quilting, so simple and so effective.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Absolutely love the quilt. Cog+wheel: Bucket list, oh that bucket list of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I do love a DS quilt. Scrappy is the best. Really lovely

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love this quilt! I made one a few years ago and gave it to my sister! Makes me want to do another :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my heart! It flutters like mad!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks great! Love the fabrics and the setting. Congrats on the finish!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. cheap ray bans uk cheap is self-comfort, ray ban sunglasses cheap uk suddenly saw a man turned to leave, are not cursed trash, fool, what rubbish cheap ray bans uk movies, but that is a trifle surprised to be cheap ray ban sunglasses uk exaggerated so much, simply Chinese movie tragedy. cheap sound great, overshadowed the front of the sound, the audience are all angry, have pointed cheap ray bans uk to cheap ray bans uk the cheap began shouting condemnation.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...