I'm so very, very, super happy to have this quilt finished. I made the first two cog + wheel blocks way back in January 2013 !!! and my plan was to make nine blocks to have a nice lap sized quilt.
The other day I came across those two finished blocks and I decided it was time to check Cog + Wheel quilt (pattern by Denyse Schmidt) off my to do list. There was no way I was making seven more of these blocks though, so I decided to make just two and add sashing and thick-ish border to make the quilt a usable size. It ended up being 55" x 58".
And yes, I did not mark my white solids properly and used a wrong white for one of the blocks. I'm now simply pretending it's part of my design plan ;).
I used a mix of DS fabrics from my stash to make a simple backing. I always enjoy this kind of scrappy, use what you've got backing the most.
I quilted it using straight horizontal lines about 1/4" -1/2" apart.
For some reason I always worry that this kind of quilting will make for a super stiff quilt which is not true at all. It gives the finished quilt a wonderful drape and a lovely feel.
I decided to stick with DS fabrics for the binding as well. And, just like with the quilt back, I went scrappy and used what I had on hand. I think it frames the quilt quite nicely and brings a little bit more interest to the finished quilt.
Thanks for reading everyone. Svetlana