My Swoon quilt is finally finished, yay! It's been such a long time since I finished anything larger than a baby quilt, so it feels especially good to have this giant crossed off my wip list :)
I first started working on this quilt way back in June. I so enjoyed picking fabric and slowly sewing each and every one of these blocks.
All was going well. I assembled my quilt top, backed it with lovely AMH flannel, I even started hand quilting some of the blocks, when I realized that the fabric I used for one of the stars (middle row on the right) was going to bleed when washed :( I used this dark red fabric in another small project and after washing it the color bled all over, pretty much ruining the whole thing.
I knew some serious "quilt surgery" was the only way to go. I carefully removed the offending block, made a new block, and successfully patched the whole quilt top up, phew!!! OK, it was a lot harder than I made it look right now. There was sashing involved, and 505 sticky spray, and the batting and backing - it was no fun, I tell you.
I then went back to hand quilting, outlining each middle star as well as the outside of the main block.
I decided to go with light aqua binding at first, but it did not feel right. So, once again, my seam ripper got busy and I replaced the light colored binding with this dark navy one. Aaaah, much better! I think the dark binding pulls all these colorful blocks into one cohesive quilt.
All in all, a pretty rocky way to get to the finished quilt, but finished it is and looking mighty well, if I say so myself :)
And, since it's neither practical nor reasonable to keep every single quilt I make, I decided to list this lovely scrappy Swoon in my etsy store.
Thanks for reading. Svetlana