Friday, April 5, 2013

loopy stripes

Happy Friday, everyone!

I'm over the moon happy to be able to say that session #2 of my FMQ drills is over and it went much better than session #1.


I made this stripy quilt with an idea of how I wanted to quilt it in mind. I decided to go with 3" strips of blue fabric alternating with 1.5" strips of Kona Bona because I knew the strips would be perfect to practice some fun loops on.


Oh, my! It was fun, and went fast too. I'm pretty sure the reason I was more relaxed was that I did this kind of quilting on a much smaller wall hanging before.


Also, I used all white thread in my bobbin to match the backing, but I changed my top thread to match the strips. This was a good way to camouflage some of my wonky loops :)


Once the loops were finished, I decided white strips really needed some stitching too, so I did some pretty dense straight line stitching. I absolutely love the contrast of those two very different quilting patterns.


I then attached a yellow binding (it matches those tiny yellow boats on the backing perfectly) and one fun little baby boy quilt was finished.


Hope you all have a very lovely weekend. Svetlana

Linking up to AmandaJean's Finish it up Friday.

30 comments:

  1. This is so lovely, and your quilting is excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty blues and quilting. That's my current favorite FMQing design.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The quilting really makes the simple design stand out! Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Svetlanko, mas to nadherne!!! Moc se mi libi oboji prositi, nadherny vysledek!!! Svetlanko, myslim, ze jeste tu treti deku uvidim a budu jista, ze quiltovaci patku si poridim jeste driv nez k narozeninam :) Je to opravdu inspirujici!! Krasny vikend, Jola

    ReplyDelete
  5. it's amazing and perfect!!! you do such beautiful work, always. i love the two different stitching types in the quilt. it's a very nice touch. and hurray for FMQ! :)

    thanks for linking up to finish it up Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job on the quilting, and I love the yellow border.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is SO cute, Svetlana!! And that yellow binding is such a perfect touch.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I absolutely love that mix of the dense quilting and loops -- what a great contrast! This is a darling quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The quilting fits perfectly for this quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brilliant! I love everything you do and it seems you can add fmq to your long list of skills!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is so pretty and I love how you quilted it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Definitely looks like you found your rhythm there, so consistent!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a pretty little quilt and a great way to practice FMQing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your loops are so nice and even! Every time I try this mine are all over the place.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the loopy quilting. So fun!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my gosh, what a great idea! And bonus points that the quilt looks fab too. I should totally copy you! with credit, of course =)

    ReplyDelete
  17. The loops are very effective! well done.

    ReplyDelete
  18. These colors are so pretty and so is your loopy stitching!! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Really cute! P.S. "Kona Bona" :-D

    ReplyDelete
  20. Are you sure you weren't more relaxed because you had a glass of wine first?!? I think they look perfect, not a wonky one in sight!

    ReplyDelete
  21. the quilting and contrasting binding make ths simple quilt really shine. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Cute! Love the colours and the contrast that you did with the quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful finish. Love the colors and the quilting. Great job :-)

    ReplyDelete
  24. So this is a dumb question :) but do you stitch the loops while moving the quilt away from you? Or towards you? Or side to side?

    Awesome job btw! Great idea to practice on charity quilts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. someday I'll try those loops, too.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I've been such a chicken about free-motion quilting. Thanks for showing such a simple finish that looks fantastic. I gotta get over it and try this myself!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I really like the color gradient you did. The loops look so smooth and I always like straight line stitching :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Beautiful!! You have inspired me to give this a try...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...