simple patchwork tablecloth

I spent the last couple of evenings working on Christmas presents and by Sunday afternoon I was so happy with my progress, that I thought some "just because I feel like it"sewing was totally in order.
 
I decided to make a new tablecloth for our kitchen table. I wanted to make something patchworky, but not too complicated. I found this simple tablecloth on Pinterest and got to work.


I had no exact plan in mind, I just started digging through my fabric stash and went from there. This was such a quick and fun project.

 

I used a flannel sheet, cut to the exact size as the patchwork top, for the backing. I placed both the top and the backing on top of each other (right sides together) and stitched all around, leaving about a 10" gap for turning. I then turned the whole thing right side out, pressed, and top stitched all the way around the tablecloth. 


I did no quilting at all as I quite like it being so nice and flat. I love how it looks in our kitchen, and it helps cover quite a few "mysterious" paint stains that no one seems to claim responsibility for.


These corner blocks are probably my most favorite part. I think they add such a lovely touch of interest and playfulness. 


Now that the tablecloth is finished, you know what comes next, right? Oh, yeah! We need some new place mats. I'm thinking something like this  or this would be wonderful.

Thanks for stopping by. Svetlana