low volume

So, I'm officially on the low volume quilt band wagon. I simply could not resist. All those lovely low volume quilts kept popping up all over the blogland and even though going so muted is not my usual route, I'm really glad I went for it.


Plus, I've wanted to give this simple strip quilt design a try for some time. I used different width of fabric (2" - 3.5"), all of them cut at 11" long. I sewed these strips into blocks which I then trimmed into 3 different sizes- 17" x 10.5", 18" x 10.5", and 19" x 10.5" blocks. Confusing? Let me explain.


Since my strips were different width, I did not have to worry about matching any seams at all which was so wonderfully freeing and quick to sew, too. But, the fact that I worked with blocks meant that I would end up with two visible precise seam lines going down my quilt where the blocks met. To avoid that, I decided to cut my blocks 3 different sizes and each row has one of each size. I made sure not to put a 17" block under another 17" block, and so on. This way it all seems quite random and I can't even tell where one block ended and another one started.


I really love how it all worked out and I would not be surprised at all if I made another strip quilt, just in much brighter colors, soon.

Before I go, I hope you won't mind if I toot my own horn a little. You see, I was featured in my local newspaper the other day. Eeeeek! So, so exciting! You can read the full article here, if you'd like.

Wishing you all a wonderful Sunday. Svetlana