Goodie Swap 2011 - part 1 (mug rug & zig zag pouch)

I'm taking part in Goodie Swap 2011. It's organized by Cindy over at Fluffy sheep quilting. It is a little bit different from my previous swap in that we got assigned 2 partners and have to make a mug rug and something else for both of them, and receive 2 mug rugs and 2 goodies  in return. How fun!

What I like most about swaps is that I get challenged to try new techniques and new color combinations. When I looked through my partners' inspiration mosaics I was taken back a little. Neither of them had my favorite colors and their likes were also different from mine. I panicked for a bit, and then I started thinking, or better yet, obsessing, about what to make. And after I "stalked" my first partner's flickr and blog, this is what I came up with. A mug rug and a pouch.

 
What do you think?


Mug rug measures 7 x 10 inches, and I used my partner's favorite colors - pink, red, aqua. I love the little girl on the swing, it's from Sherbet Pips collection by Aneela Hoey. This is the first time I tried quilting in circles.  I was amazed at how quite easy it was to do on such a small project and I think it brings this mug rug to a whole new level.


As with the mug rug, I was making up this pouch as went. I normally use HSTs for zig zags, but I knew that would be insanity for such a small patchwork. Instead, I decided to use the method I saw here . What a wonderful time saver, and I really like the way it turned out.

Didn't I tell you? I learn something new and stretch myself beyond my crafting comfort zone every time I make something specific for someone else, especially when their preferences are different from mine. Two projects, two new techniques that I will definitely use again. Yay!!!!

Are you doing any swaps? Why do you like them, or not?

I will be back with Part 2 of Goodie Swap 2011 as soon as I figure out what to make for my other partner.

Have a wonderful rest of the weekend. Svetlana