Wednesday, June 8, 2011

The farmer's wife quilt - along


Looking through some of my favorite blogs, I kept coming across this book and the quilt - along that is organized by Angela and Amanda. To say the truth, this is not the kind of book I usually buy. The colors of  the quilt are very muted and traditional (the stuff I am usually not very attracted to), and the whole quilt just seems extremely complicated.

I was pretty sure it's not for me, until I looked up the flickr page of already finished blocks. I couldn't believe how choice of more modern fabrics could make such a difference to these blocks. Amazing. I was hooked and now I am officially in. 

I don't really have any exact idea about the fabrics I'm going to use, or even who this quilt will be for. The only thing I will try to stick with is that I want to use some plain white fabric in each block and use the fabric I already have in my stash. 

I'm doing blocks in random order (easier ones first), and here are the first 4 of them.

block #1 Attic windows




block #2 Autumn Tints


block #4 Basket Weave






block #71 Puss in the Corner





and here they are, all 4 blocks together


I will be posting more blocks as I go. I hope some of you will decide to join us in this fun quilt-along.
Svetlana

10 comments:

  1. I love, love your circle fabrics and the colors! It's amazing how different the blocks looks with different fabrics!

    LaDonna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Svetlana your blocks are so awesome!!! They are pieced so perfectly!!! Can't wait to see all of them together. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love how you took a traditional styled quilt and changed it up with your own twist on fabric choice and color. They all look great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your fabric choices. Thank you for showing the finished blocks next to the blocks in the book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely blocks! I'm waiting for my book to arrive from Amazon then I can begin my blocks too! I love the scrappy-ness to your blocks... thats what I plan to do too, basically :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like the attic windows block. Very cute. The fabrics you are using are delightful.
    ~Kimberlee

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much, all your comments are so wonderful and encouraging.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your colors. I now have my book, I have selected some fabric to start and I have cut some of the quilt piece templates. I think I am behind, but will start soon. Should be fun seeing everyones blocks as they are shared.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never heard of/seen the book or QAL before, but you're certainly tempting me with the blocks you have made so far!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...