Friday, May 27, 2011
Naked bed challenge
I am so glad to show you my finished quilt. This is the one I am submitting to "Naked bed challenge".
I have used a pattern by Kate Conklin Designs called There's a Square in There. I loved this pattern. It introduced me to a "stack and slash" method of cutting fabric which was a lot of fun. I'm sure I'll give it another try again soon.
Finished size of this quilt is 72" x 72", just right for our queen bed.
I have mostly used Denyse Schmidt's fabric from her Greenfield Hill collection. I've used a lot of white cotton. Normally I go with Kona cotton, but since I needed so much of it, I decided to try a more frugal approach. I bought a king size 100% cotton white flat sheet from Target, and used that for all my blocks and sashing, and another sheet for backing. I love how it turned out and I'm definitely going with this option for my future quilts.
Quilting is quite simple. I got some great ideas from your comments and after reading them and assessing my quilting skills (which are not great) I decided to quilt straight lines through sashing and then do one random square inside each block. I am very happy with how it turned out and I it fits perfectly with all our bedroom decor.
If you have any questions about this quilt or pattern I have used, let me know. I love all your comments.
Have a wonderful weekend, Svetlana.
P.S.: Right now I'm working on some smaller projects which I hope to share with you soon.