nursery versery

so, I finally caved in and got me some Heather Ross. I kept resisting it for a quite some time simply because my children don't care for any cute fabric and I did not want to buy it just because everyone else was buying it. I definitely did not go overboard, I only bought this one print and the cute little country mice and I had quite some fun yesterday.

First, I made this pouch.


I started off by making a wonky star block for the front and then followed Anna's (Noodlehead) tutorial for her open wide zipper pouch.


As usual, Anna's tutorial is well written, directions are easy to follow, and it's full of pictures to make the whole process even easier. I made the small size of the pouch, and the only thing I did differently was to use fusible fleece instead of just regular interfacing to make my pouch sturdier.

Once the pouch was finished and pronounced pretty but too cute by my daughters, I decided it would work really well for my sewing-on-the-go supplies. Naturally, I needed to make a pincushion to go with it, right?


The pincushion probably took longer to make than the pouch itself. It's small, only 3" x 4" and I knew paper piecing was the way to go. So, I drew out my diagram and got to work. Oh, I totally and completely love this little guy. 


I don't think I'll ever be able to poke a pin through this little mousie, though.


I think this approach of fussy cutting worked really well for me as little cuteness goes a long way. What do you think? How do you use prints like Heather Ross? I know they are great for little kids, but do you use them for older kids, or even grown ups?

Wishing you all a wonderful Sunday. Svetlana

I'm linking this post to Rachel's nursery versery contest. Hope you'll have a peek, there are some totally cute projects shown already. Or, even better, make something using this fabric line and link up, too.