zakka style sew along {zigzag tote}

Tomorrow is the end of week one of Zakka Style sew along organized by a very talented Lindsey over at LRstitched. And, since I'd really like to participate and make as my projects from the book as possible, it was high time I got to work.

This week's project was a zigzag tote designed by Lisa Billings. I went ahead and cut all the measurements by 1/3 to make a smaller tote. I already have way too many totes the same size as the one in the book.


I was very tempted to use some colorful polka dotty fabric for the main body of the bag, but since this is zakka and they do use a lot of linen, I went with the original plan. Only to find out that linen is tricky to work with, it's so shifty and slippery. I had to use quite a lot of pins, not my favorite, but had to be done, and everything turned out just fine.


I did some echo hand stitching around the zigzags and after the main front panel was done, the whole tote came together rather quickly. I like Lisa's attention to detail - double sided handles, magnetic snap, echo stitching, all these things make for a very fun and useful tote.


How about you? Are you sewing along?

Svetlana