Sock monkey messenger bag

A while back I made this messenger bag for my oldest daughter.
She loved having a unique school bag and I loved how nice and sturdy it was and the size was just perfect for all the stuff she needed. Plus, really, don't we all love it when our children enjoy using something we make for them? Right after it was finished, of course, I had to promise my younger daughter to make one for her, too.

It did take me a few months, but her new messenger bag is finished. What do you think?
I added a water bottle pocket to the side and changed the way handle is attached as well as made some small changes to overall design.

I used quilting weight 100 % cotton fabric for the exterior. I went with Michael Miller Sock Monkey and Little Mikes, polka dot fabric is by Amy Butler. I interfaced exterior fabric with fusible fleece and mid-weight interfacing. I used decorator's weight cotton for the lining. All these layers make for a nice and sturdy bag.


Oh, and yes, these messenger bags do match my girls' lunch boxes. Somebody please stop me before I make them wear Sock Monkey coats and pants.

Enjoy your day, Svetlana