Monday, March 2, 2015

yet another poofy comforter


Yes, I made yet another poofy comforter and I absolutely love how super soft and comfy it is. And squishy, so very squishy :).


I started off with these fabrics from my stash but I soon realized I had to do some editing.  I decided to cut my patchwork squares at 12" instead of the original 6" squares and some of my fabric pieces were not large enough. I ended up using mostly low volume prints, some novelty prints and some regular "grown up" patterns, and I quite like how it all worked out.


I so love that alphabet fabric I used for the backing. It was originally a duvet cover I bought a while back at Ikea, I simply took it apart and used one layer for this comforter. The fabric felt a little bit rough at first but became a lot softer after I washed it. Plus, can you really beat two twin sized backings for just $19.99?


I followed my original tutorial and did little "tacks" where my patchwork squares met and then I hand quilted through the middle of my squares.


I prefer to hand quilt my comforters as the stitches don't squash the batting as much as the machine stitches would ( I usually use 3/4" high loft polyester batting). And no binding, of course.


As you can see, it's been put to good use already. Makes me want to bury myself in all these blankets and sleep all afternoon long :).

Thanks for reading, friends. Svetlana

17 comments:

  1. Love this! I have wanting to try more hand quilting, been years since I have done it. You inspire me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are on a roll! I love this one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everything about those make my eyes happy and make me want to wrap one around me. Very nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so beautiful, looks cosy and warm.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the combination of pastels, black and white, and soft brights you chose.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sleep well :-)
    Liebe Grüße,
    Kathrin

    ReplyDelete
  8. Svetlana, you are my super guide into the world of quilts! I love how you combine fabrics and love the cozy things for home you've made for your family.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a cool idea. Looks like the perfect place to spend a Sunday reading!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks very comfy. Where do you get the poly batting?

    ReplyDelete
  11. These look so Cuddly and fun! Totally want one!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very nice! I would certainly want to cuddle under one of those comforters this winter!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your color-choice. And to be honest: as much as I admire Quilting patterns.....a cuddly Comforter like yours is much more fun :-)
    and I know what I am speaking about....

    ReplyDelete
  14. Svetlanko, opravdu super deka! No, spise takova perina :) Opravdu krasne! Jola

    ReplyDelete
  15. cheap ray ban sunglasses Artillery General discount ray ban sunglasses fuchsia city. Wow, sale, this big lobster than I recently ate spicy crawfish hit I do not know how much. That day dreaming eat spicy cheap ray ban sunglasses crawfish hands cheap ray ban sunglasses holding a lobster cheap, saliva DC do not know where to eat. cheap slowly, cheap ray ban sunglasses quite gentle, little cheap ray bans cheaps strange enough, Miss Lucy appreciate mesh back services, the heart.

    ReplyDelete
  16. great combo. i find it so hard to be eclectic yet cohesive. Please, how many squares did you use?
    thanks

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...