super squishy quilted blanket

As you can probably imagine, I love quilts. I love making them, but even more than that I love seeing people using my quilts. And by people I mostly mean my kids :).


Which means any time I see my kids prefer one quilt over many others I try to find out what makes it that much more special and sort of sneakily replicate that in other quilts (that's how I found out backing any kind of quilt top with minky will make it an automatic favorite with all three of them). Yes, my children like soft and nicely drape-y quilts. They really don't care much about color or design, they go for the feel.


So the other day, when I starting thinking about making a replacement for our Christmas duvet (which we all loved using but since Christmas is long gone I felt it was high time to put it away and make something less seasonal, but just as comfy), I decided to combine voile, double gauze, and regular quilting cotton into this super simple patchwork ...


... in combination with wonderfully warm polyester batting and this stunning Anna Maria Horner velveteen for the backing. I decided to forgo binding and used the simple turning method to finish the edges (tutorial here).


And then I used Pearl Cotton #8 in magenta to do straight line hand quilting about 3" apart. This might be my absolute favorite part of this blanket as these contrasting magenta stitches make my heart do a leap every time I look at them :). Getting quite dramatic here, aren't I?


I'm super happy to say this blanket turned out exactly the way I hoped it would. In fact, it's even more comfy than I imagined. Don't you just love when that happens?

And you know what? My kids do love it but almost never use it because I keep taking it from them. It's almost like I made myself a security blanket as I drag it from room to room :).

Talk to you soon friends. Svetlana

Linking up to Finish it up Friday over at Crazy Mom Quilts.