Monday, January 19, 2015

nine patch placemats {a tutorial}


A few weeks back I made these simple nine patch placemats mostly to practice some new straight line quilting I learned while watching my friend Catherine's DVD.


I adore the combination of this super traditional block and lots of neutral space, I think it makes for such lovely modern placemats. Oh, and using only red and low volume prints for the blocks definitely helps too :).


So, I thought I'd share a quick tutorial in case some of you would like to give these nine patch placemats a try.

♥♥♥
Here's how to make four nine patch placemats.
(use 1/4" seam allowance) 

Materials needed:
24 - 1.5" x 5.5" of red fabric
24 - 1.5" x 5.5" of low volume fabric
1/2 yard background fabric
1/2 yard backing fabric
1/2 yard fabric for binding
1/2 yard batting

Cutting fabric:
from background fabric cut: 12 - 1.5" x 3.5" strips
                                               4 - 3.5'" x 15.5" rectangles
                                               4 - 5.5" x 15.5" rectangles
from backing fabric cut: 4 - 13" x 17" rectangles
from batting of your choice cut: 4 - 13" x 17" rectangles
from binding fabric cut: 6 strips 2.25" x width of fabric

24 - 1.5" x 5.5" strips of red fabric
24 - 1.5" x 5.5" strips of low volume fabric

Assembly:
Step 1: Make 16 nine patch blocks following my tutorial for tiny nine patch blocks.

Step 2: Arrange four blocks and three strips of 1.5" x 3" background fabric for each placemat (as shown in the picture below). Stitch together to form one continuous strip of patchwork. Press the seams.

Step 3: Sandwich strip of patchwork between one 3.5" x 15.5" and one 5.5" x 15.5" as pictured, stitch all three parts together and press the seams.

Step 4: Assemble all four placemat tops, they each should finish at 11.5" x 15.5".

Step 5: Make four quilt sandwiches by placing backing fabric (wrong side up) on  a flat surface, place batting on top and then placemat top (right side up). Baste together using either pins or basting spray.

Step 6: Quilt as desired.

Step 7: Square and trim the placemats. Make binding the way you would for a quilt, attach to each placemat.

Step 8: Trim all the stray threads and you're finished. 

Hope you find this tutorial useful.

And, as always, if you make a project using any of my tutorials please add it to my Flickr group. I always enjoy seeing all your amazing creations.

 Svetlana

17 comments:

  1. Moc krásné, Svetlanko! Povedly se ti :) Jola

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute. What a great way to make something useful and practice your quilting too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks. Great ideas for the quilting too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are beautiful! Love the two bindings you used too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the blocks - I've never thought to use 9 patch blocks like this before - I feel a quilt coming up!! and love the quilting. I am liking the look of the straight line quilting and intend to do a few soon with simple quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They look beautiful on your table! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your placemats look wonderful. I lvoe the grid variations, and your spirals are fantastic. I also made placemats after watching the DVD, but my placemat binding does not look nearly as clean and proper as yours does! I would love to see a binding tutorial, if you have one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you can check out this fantastic tutorial http://www.canoeridgecreations.com/2013/02/double-fold-binding-tutorial-part-one.html. I hope it helps.

      Delete
  8. These are great! My new favorite thing is making placemats! I love making them and using them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great placemats. Love the simplicity of the piecing against the quilting :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very pretty! I love the pop of color and negative space.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love them! I like their "modern traditional" look.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Svetlana, these are beautiful! I love them so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the quilting -- all different.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...