double wedding ring

A traditional double wedding ring pattern has been on my mind for a very long time. I kept admiring all the beautiful quilts made using this block but I simply did not dare to give it a try. All those little pieces, templates, curves, and "melons" seemed too tricky to handle.


And then, out of nowhere, I suddenly decided to give it a try the other day. Still very cautious and not sure how things would turn out, I went small and made this pillow cover.


I found a free pattern on Free Spirit website. I love that I didn't have to use any tiny templates since the scrappy arches were paper pieced.

***UPDATE***
For some reason the only way to find this free PDF pattern is by googling free spirit double wedding ring


I have mixed feelings when it comes to this very black fabric I used. Sometimes I love it other times not so much. I think using white would have been a lot more staying in my comfort zone, but this pillow was about stepping out and trying new things :)


My favorite part is the combination of  this chunky straight line hand stitching and striped binding.


All in all, this was a pretty fun experience. I already have plans for another double wedding ring pillow (or maybe even a quilt), only next time I'm using "my colors" which means black will still be there, but only in a supportive role, not being a star as it is now.

Finished size of this pillow cover is 19" x 19".

Thanks for reading. Svetlana