Thursday, August 8, 2013

back to school sewing

Yesterday was hot and muggy, a perfect day to stay indoors and get some sewing done, so that's just what I did. And since my kids' school starts in exactly two weeks, I decided some back to school sewing was totally in order.


My son chose a stack of fabrics he liked and I added a few scraps from my scrap basket and made this patchwork pencil pouch for him. I questioned my decision to go scrappy for a boy pouch, but I think it worked out really well in the end and we both love the way it turned out.


I even got away with adding a fun little tag on the side,


and another don't let the pigeon drive the bus tag on the back. Who says sewing for boys is boring?

Once the pouch was finished, examined, and approved of, I decided to dive into a second project on my imaginary to do list - a lunch bag for my middle daughter.


I used Amy's fantastic pattern from her book Zakka Handmades, and I think all these pretty fabrics make for one very sweet lunch bag - those little kitties are beyond adorable.


I was really surprised at how quickly it came together. Good thing too, since I still need to make another one for my oldest daughter.

That reminds me, off I go, more sewing to be done.

Thanks for stopping by. Svetlana

Linking up to Finish it up Friday.

24 comments:

  1. They're going to be the best prepared school kids yet! Love that pigeon and his bus :oD

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow - your kids are so lucky! I love all the details. I should make myself a lunch bag. Maybe then I would be better at bringing my lunch to work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe school is already right around the corner. I HAVE to make one of those lunch bags for my daughters!! As always, you've inspired me to get back in my sewing room. Off to order the book.... Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Svetlanko, zvládla jsi nádherné věci. A máš pravdu, když vidím, jaké krásné pouzdro jsi ušila pro syna, že šití pro kluky nemusí být nudné. Super tip pro každou klučičí mamku :) A taška na svačiny... to je opravdu luxus!! :) Krásné!
    Přeji nádherný víkend a další povedené šití :) Pa, Jola

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my! Almost time for school already!! Your kids will be the envy of the whole school with those gorgeous accessories! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. your kids must be proud of you, beautiful works..!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You kids will be the talk of the school! So much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Seriously, the pigeon is the cutest thing ever!

    Such fun bags for your kids for school.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pretty. Great fabrics and lovely finish!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I need to make a lunch bag for my husband, I was going to buy one, but I think I've changed my mind. I love the pencil case too. Wonder if my nephew needs one. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such lovely finishes! Love that pencil case.

    ReplyDelete
  12. your kids will be starting school in style. Lovely little makes

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, your kids are going to be the coolest in their classes :) I love the little tags that you added.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great back to school sewing. I always enjoyed back to school shopping, but I think sewing is more fun now! That pencil pouch is to cute!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I LOVE the way the patchwork pouch came out! I need to get some of that pigeon fabric. I make imaginary to-do lists too, haha.
    BTW, Are you going to be doing any local craft fairs this holiday? I just heard that there will be one in Wheaton, end of November. (I met you at the church on Raymond Dr. last year) :)
    Jen Piggybaby

    ReplyDelete
  16. Darling. I love the pencil case. Such a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What great way to get kids excited to return to school! If only it worked with 12 and 13 year old boys! :-) They are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Those are both just so adorable. I love the combination of fabrics you chose - they are just so happy!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh wow, the lunch bag is wonderful. I don't have that book but I'd love to make something like it for Bea. I love how you put the label on the corner. I hope ican find a tutorial for something like it!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love, love, every small detail of your handmade goodies, Svetlana! I especially adore those cute little tags stitched to the pouch and the lunch bag! Thanks for making super cool projects from my book ;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. With those beautiful presents you are going to make your kids return to school more fun. They are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  22. great back to school makes :) I just made a pencil pouch for a kiddo too and I know what you mean about your imaginary to do list, I have things that just sit and percolate for so long in there!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...