improv logs

I'm so happy to share my Improv Logs quilt with you today. 


I made it as part of the Log Cabin challenge at our MQG. And it truly was a challenge. (BTW, the official reveal date was our yesterday's meeting and all the quilts were absolutely amazing. It was wonderful to see a humble log cabin being interpreted in so many wonderful ways.)

I do love log cabin blocks, but once the time came for me to decide on a specific design, I was stuck. I had so many ideas, none of them seemed right though.


This very rough sketch was my jumping off point once I decided to improv piece my blocks. I know, very professional looking :)


I made 9 randomly sized blocks and then the hard work of piecing the quilt together started. I won't lie, it was not quick. I kept the blocks on my design wall for quite a while. Some days I really liked the way it all looked, other days I was ready to scrap the whole idea and start all over.


Once my quilt top was finished, I knew exactly how I wanted to quilt it. I've been admiring Karen's improv quilts and her spiral quilting for a long time and I knew this kind of quilting would be just perfect for my Improv Logs.

At this stage I usually consider my quilts pretty much finished as I don't consider attaching the binding on to be a huge job. This time, however, I was far from being done.


I decided to piece my binding to blend in with the quilt. Debbie always makes the most intersting binding, so I thought I'd give it a try.

It took a looooong time and I seriously started questioning my sanity, but once it was finished..... I absolutely, positively love the way it looks and finishes the quilt off in such a perfect way.


Finished size of the quilt is 36" x 36".

Wishing you all an amazing weekend. Svetlana

Linking up to AmandaJean's Finish it up Friday.