I finally started working on my son's quilt. The original plan was to use this pattern by Denyse Schmidt.
It's such a great modern and graphic quilt, just perfect for a boy (not an easy thing to find, I think). But, as much as I loved this quilt, I kept procrastinating. You see, this pattern has two giant sheets of paper full of templates needed to cut out each block. Templates? Really? Not my thing at all.
I decided to use the picture of Denyse's quilt as my reference point and cut out twenty 16"x 16" blocks.
I stacked 5 of the blocks (some patterned, some solid) on top of each other and used stack and slash method to cut the first 5 blocks. I mixed my fabric pieces around to make sure that each block has all the fabrics in it and got to sew. Here they are, ready to be trimmed.
I was working on all 5 blocks simultaneously - less time spent getting up to iron all the seams. I was really surprised at how quickly they came together. And, no templates!!! Yay!
I can't wait to sit at the machine and sew more of these blocks, maybe tonight, after everyone goes to bed.
Have a great evening. Svetlana