granny square {take two}

Hello, happy Friday!

I hope you all are having a wonderful day so far. It's been a couple of very unusual days for us here in Chicago with temperatures reaching 80 degrees!!!!! As my son said - these are the best winter days ever! No complaints here, that's for sure.

Now on to the quilty matters. I finished my Hope Valley and Heirloom granny square quilt. 


I took a very different approach from my previous scrappy granny quilt. I decided to use fabric from just two collections - Hope Valley by Denyse Schmidt and Heirloom by Joel Dewberry. I liked them both very much and I think they look beautiful being used in the same quilt.


I decided to go bigger with my squares and instead of the original 2.5" squares I cut mine at 3.5". Somehow, I thought that a little bigger blocks would showcase these gorgeous prints better.


I quilted all around the blocks and a few straight lines around the border. I want this quilt to be nice and soft from the very beginning, so I chose not to do too much quilting.


I used Kona tangerine to bind the quilt. I think this bright and saturated orange is the perfect finishing touch.

Finished quilt is about 55" x 65" and it's ready for its long journey all the way to Europe.


And, just for fun, I wanted to show you both of my granny square quilts side by side.  Isn't it fantastic that changing fabric and the scale of the block resulted in two quite different quilts?

Enjoy the rest of the day. Svetlana

Linking up to AmandaJean's Finish it up Friday.