defeat by triangles and granny therapy

This weekend I got completely defeated by my triangle project. It was a total, 100% fiasco. Yuck!!! I spent hours getting my triangles in the right places and I really, really loved the way it looked on my design wall.


I loved everything about it, the colors, the shapes, all solids, and just the whole look of this project. Then the reality hit. Sewing all these small triangles together with no cut off and nicely lined up points proved to be more than I could possibly manage for right now.

I first tried to sew each row of triangles as I went and then connect the rows, but since the triangles are pretty small (2.5" high), and my seam allowances were not EXACTLY the same, they were not lining up perfectly.


Then I tried using interfacing as a stabilizer and sewing triangles together like that. What  I did not realize, however, is that triangles don't work the way squares do (DAH!!!!) and it all turned out crooked and none of the seams lined up.


It took two more unsuccessful different methods of trying to line up these crazy triangles before I finally gave up. I stuck them all in a plastic bag and shoved it into the storage area. I knew that if they stayed on my design wall I would have been spending even more time trying to figure it all out - there is still hand stitching I did not try, it just was not worth it anymore. I have other projects I want to work on, so this one will be counted as a complete failure and waste of time for now. And, I'm OK with that, I'm moving on!!!

To make myself feel better, I had some "granny square therapy" last night.


I made a pillow cover using some of the leftover blocks from my scrappy granny square quilt and I paired them with some gorgeous Essex linen in grey.


I used this adorable donkeys in wellington boots fabric by Laurie Wisbrun for the back and I bound it using Dr. Seuss' black and white striped fabric.

Happily, the triangle fiasco was almost forgotten by the time I was done with this pillow - granny square therapy clearly worked.

To top it off, our unusually warm weather is still here - normal temperatures for this time of year are in the 40s, we keep getting into the 80s every day!!!! How crazy is that? We have winter boots lined up next to our flip flops, and we went from wearing winter coats to tank tops in just a day or two.  So, I'm off to enjoy this heat wave, who knows what tomorrow's weather will be like.

Enjoy your Sunday, Svetlana.