Friday, June 3, 2011

Picnic blanket and a tote

The weather here in Chicago is just gorgeous and I'm happy to say that not only were we able to enjoy some beautiful sunny days, I also got to work on quite a few sewing projects.

With the weather being so nice, it got me thinking that I should make a nice, colorful picnic blanket. I decided to go simple, lots of 4 x 4 squares. And since my last quilt was made in much more subdued colors, I felt like I needed to go all out and use many, many colors and patterns. 

I took some pictures of the process of putting the blanket together, unfortunately I didn't get to posting them until now. The thing with me is that when I start a project I can't relax and take time to do something else until it's finished. I think about it most of the time I can't work on it, I even dream about my sewing. Completely obsessive, I know. So, when I sew, I sew, it's hard for me to get away from it and post any pictures.

my fabric organized by rows
all pieced together

So, the blanket / quilt is finished now, and I LOVE it. I love how happy it makes me just looking at it. I think it's all those beautiful colors and patterns together. I just  hope the weather will stay this nice for at least a few days so we can take this baby for a test drive.



Looking at this gorgeous sea of color gave me another idea, of course, and I started working on a new tote to match my picnic blanket.

I really didn't need another bag (I've already made so many of them, they can last me a lifetime), but the desire to make one won and here it is.


My new quilted tote, in happy summer colors, very sturdy, just right for all the picnic necessities. I underlined it with fusible fleece and interfacing and did some straight line quilting just to add some interest.

Yeah, Lola likes it, inspection passed.
I almost like the interior of the bag better than the outside. Plenty of pockets, especially zippered ones, are a must in any bag I use on a regular basis, and I added a ribbon and a snap hook to attach my keys or sunglasses to.


Well, I am off to start my weekend now. I hope you all get to enjoy some warm, relaxing days.
Svetlana

2 comments:

  1. Your quilt and bag are so cheerful...who couldn't be happy seeing it?! Good job!

    LaDonna

    ReplyDelete
  2. The idea of making a blanket from those small collection of pieces. It looks gorgeous and awesome and beautiful in first look. The tote is equally awesome and brilliant. Keep up the amazing work.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...